10 In blogging/ nutrition/ running

Inspiration

Hitting the streets with me since 2010

Many people have called me an “inspiration” online. I am always extremely flattered and surprised by it as I still so clearly remember being a chubby college kid who on many nights sneaked to the vending machine on her dorm floor every 20 minutes to get yet another packet of Grandma’s Homestyle Soft Peanut Butter Cookies. It’s incredible how vivid that memory is for me – eating them made me feel so good yet so horrible right afterwards. I am so glad that I finally quit the drug that totally messes with my mental well-being – sugar*. It’s just a shame that it took me 15 years to get there!

As a new year has just started I am extremely grateful that I have learned to NOT diet – diets ALWAYS fail and in return make you feel like a total looser. Been there, done that. Year after year after year.Β  Instead now I have arrived in the point in my life where I know what foods I cannot moderate (I guess it’s ok if you overdo it with broccoli, but if we’re talking cookies then that totally messes with my digestion and in turn my mood) and keeping away from them means that my cravings are no longer in charge of my life – I am.

For years and years I thought that the key was in moderation – that surely a little bit of everything is ok? But when I finally saw the light, it hit me bright – my brain is unable to moderate sugar intake and instead of constantly fighting with it, I need to just stop eating sugar. I guess it’s kind of like being in AA – you know that there isn’t anything wrong about a little glass of wine but you also know that it just does not work for you, so you totally abstain.

I truly hope that everyone at one time in their life learns to know their body so well that they know what works for them and what doesn’t. Once that breakthrough happens, life and food and health and fitness is no longer a struggle.

So where do I find MY inspiration? I find it in women who have looked at their life and said: “Fuck it! I am going to be in charge of my life and my health!”

Women like Colleen at Bee Fit who went from being obese to running ultra-marathons in 3 years.

Women like Jess at Wellness Warrior who freaking cured herself of cancer through holistic nutrition and alternative treatments.

Women like Muireann at Bangs and a Bun who overcame depression with the help of running, coached several groups of women to run their first half marathons and who continues to inspire women to look at fitness much differently than it’s usually sold to them. (Also, her Bangs Goes Rap videos are some of the funniest stuff I have seen in a long time.)

Women like Kaisa at Mum on the Run who has 3 little kids and a brand new business but still makes time to run (and she does it freaking fast!) AND to lead fitness classes for women in her hometown.

Women like Bari at Life, Laugh, Run, Breathe who has lost an incredible amount of weight and just keeps running and running and running even though through her body likes to hold on to weight and doesn’t easily let go of it (oh I so know what that body feels like!).

Women like Dawn at The Moiderer who has overcome a very difficult childhood and a loss of her first child but ran the London Marathon last year and continues to shrink in size and help others through her new cognitive hypnotherapy business.

Women like Kat at Run Mummy Run who has two little boys (even younger than mine) but keeps challenging herself with new fitness goals and ran the Edinburgh Marathon last year in super quick time.

I could go on and on and on… My blog- & twitter world is full of women who inspire me πŸ™‚

*Sugar also messes with my running, I’ll write about that at some other time.

Otilia
    January 12, 2013 at 7:58 am

You are my inspiration! And when I read your posts I keep thinking / I should try. I need to try but i’m do weak And ha e no determination. I love the confort of icecream but unfortunately it just makes me fat πŸ™
    I made a promise that I will start to cut of though. Try it half way first and see how I get on….

January 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm

You’re right – little changes, little over time – that’s what works. No one becomes a total health freak like me overnight πŸ™‚

Otilia
        January 12, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Lady you are Milion miles away from being a freak!

Ivi
    January 4, 2013 at 7:25 am

Hey, I’m glad I found your new blog πŸ˜‰
    Your talks about running really do inspire me and make me want to go back there myself. Couple of years ago I ran a semi marathon and I also took part of many other running competitions which I would love to repeat.
    (Now, with a cute little 9-months-old girl I’m only doing a bit of morning yoga :D)
    As to eating habits, I’ve never been in the need of losing weight. But I’m the one who’s fooling herself by saying “a little bit of chocolate every day can not be harmful, can it?” so.. I’ve got a loooong way to go!

MLV
    January 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Just wanted to say your blog *is* an inspiration.

I love how random the Internet is — I followed you on Instagram for the beautiful-happy photos of Estonia and then discovered your love for running via pictures again and then this blog. πŸ™‚

I have years of battling EDs behind me and I’m desperately holdings on to my sanity mostly thanks to running which I love beyond reason. I am trying for my first marathon this year. So this is fascinating *and* inspiring reading material for me, and I hope you don’t mind if I add you to my reading list.

(I could comment in Estonian, but felt it would be tactless seeing as you write in English.)

January 3, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I LOVE it when I find more and more people (or when they find me πŸ˜‰ who also recognize that they are much happier people when they run and eat clean. Exercise and proper nutrition make a HUGE difference to me in how I feel about myself and the world around me (and how much patience I have to handle my two boys!) and if more people feel that way then I am more encouraged to spread the word!

Mum2BabyInsomniac
    January 3, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I have just started cutting sugar out of my diet again, I used to be so healthy before getting pregnant the first time, and never even wanted to eat sweet stuff but being pregnant then breastfeeding meant I only ever wanted to eat sugary stuff and craved it all day long. I know it’s prob why I’ve been feeling so crap and had no energy. I don’t like doing things by halves so I have to cut it out altogether if I do it, at least things like agave syrup make it a bit easier, I always end up craving chocolate and giving in after about a week though. I’m determined this time though as I need to get healthy, I think it is amazing that you can keep it up and not give in. It takes a lot of determination! X

January 3, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I cannot do things in halves either πŸ™‚ And honestly it takes a lot less determination to just totally cut out the stuff you’re addicted to than to try to limit yourself – THAT would mean a constant struggle for me… Let me know how you get on with your sugar-reduction journey!

Bari
    January 2, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Awww, thanks for the shout out! You are definitely on my list of inspirational women and I’m honored that I’ve made your list. ((Hugs)) and happy New Years!

January 3, 2013 at 9:41 pm

You’re welcome. I love reading your blog πŸ™‚