9 In marathon/ running

Marathon training: Week 4 – Taking it easy

View from Canary Wharf

Week 4 of marathon training went well – I took it easy and didn’t have a long run this week. I’ve looked at many training plans and they usually have an easier week every once in a while and since I’ve increased my weekly mileage for 3 weeks now I thought it’d be probably good for those little legs of mine to have an easier week before I increase the weekend long run to 30km and up (I cannot wait! πŸ™‚

It drizzled all weekend but since I only did short runs it wasn’t worth taking it to the treadmill.Β  The Mr has managed to bang up one of his knees somehow, probably at Crossfit that he started a few weeks ago… We ran together on Sunday at a bit slower pace, I’m hoping his knee will heal up fast as he does have to amp up his running if he wants to do this marathon thing with me.

My training for last week went like this:

• Monday: Crossfit
  • Tuesday: Rest
  • Wednesday: 20.08km at 5:33 min/km pace, 1:51:30
  • Thursday: Crossfit
  • Friday: 6.16km at 4:49 pace, 29:39
  • Saturday: 10.25km at 5:02 pace, 51:39
  • Sunday: 10.23km at 5:35 pace, 57:10

Total: 46.72km (29 miles)

Did you know that those who “properly” train for marathons run 80-100km a week!?!

MuMuGB
    February 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Well, I have had a bad cold all week and didn’t do a thing. I think that there is something wrong with me!

February 14, 2013 at 8:50 pm

There’s nothing wrong with you if you take it easy when you have a cold πŸ™‚

kmlv
    February 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Easy weeks are awesome sometimes. I usually feel guilty for some reason when I take it easier (even when it’s planned) but the fact is I’ve usually run my training run PBs without much effort when returning from an “easy” week or a short break.

100km is insane! I did a practical running seminar with Jane SalumΓ€e a while back and she answered a lot of questions about marathon training, which my reading has later somewhat confirmed. (Of course there are opposing viewpoints as with everything…)

Still, what I picked up is that insane mileage is not necessary. It’s quality running that matters, not quantity. In fact she said that she did her best marathons while training as a mid-distance runner not long distance. :O A lot of tempo runs. πŸ™‚

Still, it would be advisable to be able to run a 30k a few weeks before the marathon. More for mental than physical prep though.

I’m not sure how far I agree with her theories… But she’s a living example so there must be something there.

That said. I’m not the one to speak. πŸ˜› I’m less than seven months away from my first marathon and I’ve yet to pick a training plan!

I want to start a six month one first week of March, but don’t know which to pick. πŸ˜› Currently I’m just running for fun. Four days a week 7-15k routes. Two more weeks of “freedom”!

February 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm

100km a week does sound an awful lot. My ‘training plan’ just increases the long run every weekend with every 3rd week being ‘easy’. Other than that I do 3 other runs a week, a 15k, a 10k and a 6k – all of them much faster than my marathon or half marathon pace. Which marathon are you running?

kmlv
        February 14, 2013 at 9:01 pm

The Tallinn marathon in September. πŸ™‚ Seemed like a plan to start with the one that pretty much overlaps in parts with my regular running route.

Though I am a bit scared with it being only on asphalt. I do my regular running on grass or snow or unpaved trails as I have finnicky flat feet prone to stress fractures. :-\

So I’m a lot less worried about the distance than the actual ground I’ll be running on.

lisa gusto
    February 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

Can the kids come with you guys on their bikes when you run togheter or do you have to get a sitter? And what do you wear on your head when it’s cold if anything? X

February 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm

My mother lives with us, remember? πŸ™‚ And as for my head – I always wear just a cap – both in the summer and winter (the tips of my ears tuck in so they stay warm πŸ™‚

Claire
    February 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

Wow, great week of workouts! I can’t believe they run 100km a week – that’s crazy! When I was training for my half I struggled to hit 40 miles!

February 12, 2013 at 12:08 pm

100km a week is crazy indeed. I’ve run all my half marathons with just 2-3 runs a week totaling 30-40km a week πŸ™‚