What can I say other than 32km is a bloody long run!
Thankfully my legs didn’t loose the plot like they did during last weekend’s much shorter run, but I have to say that after about 28km I was a bit bored of it all 😐
The husband dropped off at that point as he has a knee niggle and I plodded along crowded streets towards home not really having any zen thoughts in my head and only thinking about finally getting home and whether I’d have time to have a coffee in peace before my mother and the kids got back from Estonian School.
Since it was my longest distance ever I was hoping for another runner’s high like after this run, but getting high doesn’t happen very often so this time it didn’t either. Oh well. The main thing is that I ran a long way and I didn’t die at the end 🙂
Good things about this run:
- Ran with my new Camelbak for the first time and it was light and comfortable.
- Torq gels continue to function well – the only inedible kind is banoffee, other flavours are nice (other than being really sweet which I’m not used to but I suspect I cannot find a non-sweet energy gel).
- Having done previous long runs in my Nike Zoom Vomero+ 7s, I ran this one in my good old Adidas adiSTAR Ride 2-s and definitely my feet definitely felt a lot less tired and stressed by the end of the run.
- Feeling like I can probably actually run this marathon tomorrow if I had to (well, maybe not tomorrow but in a few days :).
- Knowing now that a realistic time in which I will run this marathon will be between 4:10 and 4:30.
Not so good things about this run:
- Not seeing the water level in the Camelbak meant that I drank too little and had a whole litre left when I got home. Also, I saw later that it had rubbed my back a little.
- Stopped at 22km to go to the bathroom but still when I got home I had to RUN to the loo again – darn GI issues!
- Got lost a few times around Imperial Wharf and had to stop to look at the map.
- Got bored 😐 and thought that I really enjoy training for half marathons a lot more than for a full one 🙁
After I got home, I guzzled down a Torq recovery drink (bleghhh – very sweet again but it’s supposed to be good for me), showered my legs with cold water while standing in a laundry bucket so water came up to my knees (the closest thing I’ll ever get to an ice bath as I hate anything cold), cooked up some chicken, broccoli and egg whites, followed by coffee and a Bounce almond ball.
Then the kids came home and we took them out skateboarding and to Pizza Express. I ordered a pizza but it felt really heavy for my stomach and I could barely eat half of it. Tomorrow morning I’m doing a 7 or 8km recovery run and then spend the rest of the day at a 4th birthday party. I think I better go to bed at 8 tonight 🙂