11 In marathon/ nutrition

I am sadly not the kind of person who can run a marathon fuelled by ham & cheese toasties

I have a confession to make – I am human. I am in fact a human who’s constantly feeling hungry with all this running that’s going on and I have lapsed into eating a bit more wheat than my body likes.

Interestingly it’s easy for me to stay away from sugar and from most dairy as well. Wheat, however, has been a bit more tricky to stay clear from and I know exactly why – it doesn’t bother my digestion in small quantities and I’ve been thinking that a little bit will be ok.

The only trouble with thinking that way is that I am not very good at moderating anything that involves sugar or is a bread of some sort. Half a ham & cheese toastie (wheat AND dairy :|) turns into half a ham & cheese toastie + tortilla with peanut butter + handful of mini pretzels = I’m totally bloated and uncomfortable for several days

I only have 4 weeks until I run a marathon and this post is a marker for myself to be extra vigilant from now until D day and stay away from wheat. I know I can do it once I change my mindset from ‘a little bit is ok’ to ‘never’. Weird, but that’s how the brain of somebody who’s not a moderator works.

So from now on I will be extra good and hopefully save myself from the portaloos during a marathon (an experience I’ve been told everyone should try to avoid at all costs).

Kerli-Alice
    March 14, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Kuule, ma pean su selle sünnipäevalaua pildi siit pätsama kuna sinu oma on parem kui ükski minu oma 🙂

March 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

Void pätsata aga see on telefoniga tehtud 😐

kathleen
    March 12, 2013 at 11:29 am

It’s funny how marathon training becomes an exploration of our entire bodies. I had a routine of eating porridge before every long run but would discover that about an hour to two hours in I’d get a painful stomach and feel desperate to go. Not ideal when you’re in the middle of a long run! A bit of experimenting with other food and I found what was right for me. I’m craving a ham and cheese toastie now!

March 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

What do you eat before a long run or a race now?

Bari
    March 11, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I’d have serious difficulty staying away from ALL of that stuff. Sometimes I wonder if I’d feel better if I did, but the thought of trying to eat differently than my entire family gives me worse stomach pains than a little bit of gluten and sugar. Hopefully you are able to steer clear of what you know makes you uncomfortable and your marathon goes beautifully.

March 11, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I think for 4 weeks it’s worth being extra extra strict. The 20 mile run on Saturday showed me that as the situation is now – I will not be able to run the entire 26.2 without a stop or even 2. In the woods I wouldn’t mind but on the streets of Paris?!? 🙂