13 In nutrition/ running

Food = Fuel – Today’s fuel in 12 photos

After that crazy doctor’s appointment I had yesterday I started thinking about his comment about calories. The fact is that I feel like I eat all.the.time. Usually at work I have porridge and coffee at 8:30, banana or apple at 11, lunch of sushi or salad with eggs or meat at 12:30, more fruit or nuts at 15:00, dinner at 18:00 and endless snacks once the boys are in bed: rice cakes with butter & goat’s cheese or gluten free ‘cheerios’ with goat’s milk, or just raisins and nuts, etc. All in all I feel like I eat all the time.

Today I thought I’d take a photo of everything I eat just to see what all.the.time looks like at the end of the day. I wasn’t working today so I made myself snack more around dinner time in hopes that the post-dinner snacking would be at minimum. I think it worked, I just had the stevia sweetened dark chocolate bar and 2 cups of herbal tea and by 8pm I felt full and in no need to eat any more.

Today’s fuel: porridge (oats, chia seeds, hemp seeds, goat’s milk), ham/spinach/egg/tomatoes/sushi, black coffee, apple, dried mango, pancake (2 eggs, chia seeds, maca powder), black coffee, banana, french fries stolen from my child in a soft play cafe, oat and mango bars that I bought for the kids but they don’t like them, pumpkin risotto, strawberries, smoothie (mango/almond milk), stevia sweetened dark chocolate.

(I do like mango a lot πŸ™‚

So what do I think this looks like – too much for a runner, or too little? I think I do eat.all.the.time, but maybe the quantities are smaller than lots of other people eat at a time? All in all I’m not too horrified, I really thought I would end up with 20 photos and not 12. I’ll try to do the same tomorrow as I’m working AND I won’t get a chance to have dinner until after 7 sometime – that should be interesting as I have a habit of ‘eating ahead’ i.e. I’m scared of getting hungry so I eat ‘just in case’.

helen
    March 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hello!
    Personally I don’t think that’s a lot of food, but then I do eat a lot of food.
    Also things like rice cakes are devoid of calories, nutrients and taste.
    Even the food you do eat that has lots of nutrients are fairly low calorie.

Saying all that, if you are happy with your food, and the food you eat makes you feel happy and healthy then ignore what other people say.

MuMuGB
    March 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm

You are eating far to healthily for me! Where are your proteins? I couldn’t survive without bread or a small croissant for b’fast. And I need chocolates…Lots of chocolates. No wonder you are so skinny!

March 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Protein: eggs, spinach, ham, chia seeds (LOADS of protein).

PS. NO one has ever called me skinny!

Kerli-Alice
    March 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm

So much ‘sweet’ stuff ?!
    My 4 years old eats more risotto than you do πŸ™‚
    I’m not a runner and my portions are much bigger than yours but I’m still hungry ALL THE TIME! πŸ™‚

March 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

That was all the risotto that was left once everyone else had eaten! 😐

Lenka Istvanova
    March 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

Good stuff! After seeing your photos I’ve realized that I eat pretty much the same but sometimes I think that it is too much although I do run 5 times a week. I feel hungry every 2 hours (LOL) so I need to snack on some fruits to keep me going but I tried to avoid all the scary-sweets.
    Thanks for posting it tho -It’s a great idea and will try to take pictures of my meals too as it’s quicker that writing everything down.

Cat
    March 13, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I started pretty well with a smoothie and cereal bar for breakfast (both homemade), jaffa cakes at 11am and an avocado, halloumi & tomato wrap for lunch. But then I ate malteasers in the afternoon, followed by a scotch egg and some chips tonight (and snacky stuff, incl yoghurt, dried figs). I’m sure others can do better!

Fiona
    March 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm

What a fab post! Doesn’t look too much or too little at all.
    Today I drank lots of coffee, lots of water and a small bowl of pasta at lunch with a big bowl of chilli for supper.

Fiona

March 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Yum, chilli. Hubs made some last week πŸ˜›