11 In nutrition

Supplements – yes or no?

Do you take any supplements or do you believe that everything your body needs should come from food?  I try to eat as well as possible but there are a few things that I do take in capsules:

1. Fish oil
Why? I’m not sure I eat enough fish/chia seeds/hemp seeds to get a proper daily dose of the good omegas that my body needs (I’m trying to keep my PND from reappearing and fish oil is good for my brain as well)

2. Agnus Castus
Why? This herbal medicine was recommended to me after I complained that I struggle with hormonal pimples and PMS – it’s supposed to balance the hormones and I definitely notice a difference since I started taking it several months ago.

3. Vitamin D
Why? The winter this year has been unbelievably DRAB and everlasting AND I’m trying to keep that PND away (see above).

4. Probiotics
Why?  My digestion is very sensitive and whereas not eating sugar, not much gluten or dairy has taken care of most of my tummy issues, I do still take a probiotic to make sure that there are enough of the good bacteria in my gut.

When everyone around me has a cold, I also take vitamin C with zinc, and am fascinated by liposomal Vitamin C although I’ve never tried it. When I first gave up sugar I took chromium tablets because they’re supposed to help with sugar cravings. Other than that I don’t take anything else anymore, no Citalopram and not even the pill. For some reason when I stopped Citalopram last summer I felt the need to stop taking artificial hormones as well. So far the results of just taking the above supplements and cleaning up my diet have been positive so I’m sticking with what I’m doing for as long as it’s working.

How about you? Do you take any supplements?

sami
    April 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

i take the same as you. so glad to hear the Agnus Castus is helping. i also take iron for my anemia. rhodiola for energy (since i’m caffeine free). Mg (MAGNESIUM) PLUS GUARD for heart palpitations (hence caffeine free, not even decaf coffee) and to counter act constipation from iron :). they are saying magnesium is excellent for women. trying to learn to eat foods high in iron (black strap molasses & liver) so i can get off the iron supplements. this season i’m trying to eat for my skin since i burn so easily and dad just passed from melanoma. i’m taking daily dose of lycopene-rich tomato paste and astaxanthin.

April 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

Interesting stuff! I don’t need iron but might do with magnesium and probably zinc as well as it’s also supposed to be good for your skin. Astaxanthin I have never heard about so will Google.

Angeline
    April 1, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I really found your post quite helpful as I was considering using supplements , I was told brewers yeast (spelling?) helped a friend with PNd. Also using fish oil as I don’t eat enough in my diet, and I will be starting to exercise again soon so every little helps! Great post:)

kmlv
    April 1, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Ha! So I pretty much take the same things minus the second one – but from the sound of it, it might actually be a good idea to add it to my regime.

For vitamin D I take a complex of vitamin D, calcium and magnesium. A three in one thing.

I also take a zinc supplement for my skin more than anything else. Occasionally I play around with iron tonics because I’m diagnosed anemic and am supposed to take them… But I’m so bad at remembering. :p So I just hope spinach (which I love so much that occasionally I just eat bowls of lightly sautéed spinach alone) and beets will do the trick here.

Sometimes I flirt with the idea of a protein powder… But not really. I’m not very trusting when it comes to powdered and packaged stuff. Probably why I don’t do sports drinks and gels either. Though I should as I move to 90+ min runs.

Lesley Boniface (lilbeeloo67)
    April 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I’ve been taking Vitamin C & Zinc since December when everyone around me was getting colds, and since my visit to the Dr last week and the stress & acute SAD diagnosis I’ve been taking Vit D and magnesium. I also started taking Glucosamine Chrondotin with Rosehip for joints whilst I was training for the Feb HM and I’ve also started taking Magnesium (to help with sleep). So far so good although I’m not sure what’s working – the vit C definitely has (no cold this winter season 😉 ) I also tried Chromium but it didn’t seem to help with the sugar cravings – maybe a good time to try it again!

Raina
    April 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Oh, got me thinking that maybe I shouldn’t be so sporadic with my supplements… it is probably months that I have taken any. But if I take some it is liquid iron (I’m bit anemic as I don’t eat meat and I can’t always be bothered to make myself iron source substitute while cooking for family) and then I sometimes take a multivitamins for a month or two.

But I like to check out this Agnus Castus….I don’t know if they sell this in Estonia but I come to London in few weeks time)

April 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Agnus Castus is “mungapipar” in Estonian, it looks like it’s sold there as well. For iron, eat a lot of spinach (and oranges as vitamin C assists iron absorption) 🙂

Jo
    April 1, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Oh this very timely, I haven’t been taking anything since doing paleo (day 29!!) and last week started to read about what I probably should be taking. But like anything to do with health there are so many opinions out there. And then so many brands and types that I got over whelmed and decided to go back to ignoring it all.

I have very similar health concerns as you skin/stomach so good to see what’s working for those and your reasoning.
    Can I ask, what brands do you use and where do you buy from? There is too much info out there, especially for fish oils. I got so overwhelmed with amours and types.
    Help??!!? (Please :D)

April 1, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I know what you mean about an overwhelming amount of information on this out there! I buy most of my stuff from Holland and Barrett, I used to buy kryll oil as it’s supposed to be very good for you but it’s bloody expensive so I’m back to just fish oil – the only rule I go with is that it’s not the cheapest, I think when it comes to fish oil, you get what you pay for i.e. cheap stuff is not good quality. The one I have at the moment is 1200mg capsule.