10 In crossfit/ fitness

Eight months ago I became a CrossFitter

I was thinking the other day that although I tweet about CrossFit a lot, I haven’t been blogging about it much.

Is it because of little comments I’ve heard from people? That CrossFit is a bit extreme? That it’s a sure way to get injured? That it’s just an American fad?

It might be because of that. It might be because it’s been exhausting explaining CrossFit to people who don’t get it and don’t want to get it.Β  It doesn’t help that when people Google “CrossFit” they mainly get a lot of images of very beefy topless men and very buff women who only seem to work out in a bra and hot pants?

Maybe that’s why I haven’t written about it much. After all – what is my mother-in-law going to think? First I give up sugar AND gluten AND dairy, run a marathon and now I lift weights in hot pants?!?

It’s totally not like that though. In my box I’ve only seen one pair of hot pants (they were on a visiting American and thankfully we didn’t do deadlifts that day) and the guys keep their shirts on most of the time.

I don’t go to CrossFit to be part of some crazy topless cult. CrossFit is just a lot of fun. It’s simple as that. It’s challenging and hard but every time I do something I didn’t think I could do – learn a new skill or lift a bit more weight – and THAT is a great feeling that cannot be explained in words.

Up until now I have actually taken it relatively easy with the heavy weights. In the beginning I wanted to figure out the mechanics of each lift and exercise before I went all crazy with weight. A few months in when some things were starting to sink in (although don’t ask me what the difference between push press or push jerk is) I remained cautious because I had a marathon to train for and did not want to risk getting injured.

Since I started going back now after the marathon, I have not reserved any energy for ‘later’ – it’s been full force ahead at every session. Of course I have been so freaking sore that some days I can’t sit, stand OR walk properly.Β  But it’s all good! “Today’s pain is tomorrow’s strength” is what I’ve read somewhere, so as long as it’s not injury pain but just plain old DOMS, I’m happy.

So maybe CrossFit IS a bit crazy πŸ™‚ But until you lift some weights, you’ll never know how that can feel like such an achievement.

It’s Badass Stuff.Β  It’s the stuff that makes me feel like I can handle life. Because life can be hard… life where you juggle a zillion things with the responsibility of being a parent weighing on your shoulders can be hard.

But CrossFit makes me unafraid. It makes me try things that are not easy, it pushes me out of my comfort zone and I’m hoping that the stronger my body gets, the stronger my mind gets. I need it to be strong to not feel overwhelmed by life. When I look at life in bite size pieces and just one push-up at a time – it’s beautiful πŸ™‚

So that’s why I love CrossFit. It gives me strength. Both literally and figuratively… and it’s the perfect partner to my running – strength and long-distance endurance go well together.

And did I mention CrossFit is FUN and everyone is friendly, encouraging, non-judgmental and easy to hang out with?? πŸ™‚ And I don’t need to mention that weight training is important as we get older, right? πŸ™‚

Here’s a little video (warning: contains hot pants):

JenJ
    May 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

Ahhh… we came into each other’s lives at the right time, ey?! πŸ˜‰ I think you sum it up perfectly. Sure, I’m a total newbie, but I think I get what you’re saying. And it’s not the same as going to the gym with a workout plan in your hand. Here, you don’t have to think about preparing a workout, someone does it for you. You don’t have to motivate yourself, you’re motivated simply by being around so many others. Reading this has made me feel even more positive about it, between yesterday’s sesh and this post, I’m ready to roll… πŸ˜‰ Might have to come up to London and check out your box sometime (does that sound naughty?!). πŸ˜‰ Happy Sunday, Mrs B!!!

May 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

You can check out my box anytime! πŸ™‚ Is yours Reebok affiliate? If so I think you can just go to any of them when you’re travelling.

running_kmlv
    May 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Ok, so it actually sounds awesome to me! I just wish I could find it. I did weights, bench pressing, squats, the whole nine yards for about four months last year and it really was so good for my body. The only time I’ve ever run continuously injury free.

But. It stopped being fun. Just seemed like a lot of same old, same old with the number of reps and kilograms increasing… So I stopped going. And my body is sad.

May 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

On my own I would not know what to do with a barbell! That’s why this approach works so well for me, I don’t have to think, I just have to do it. There are no CrossFit boxes in Estonia yet – maybe you could get trained here in London and start up one over there?? πŸ˜‰

Ffion (Chocolate and Raspberries)
    May 9, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Ha, I’m yet to see hot pants either! That’s why I like CrossFit too, that feeling that you’ve learnt something, not just a new move, or how heavy you can lift, but exactly what you are capable of!

May 13, 2013 at 10:02 am

It’s all about stepping out of our comfort zones (in some cases being pushed out of them but the result is the same – we CAN do the things we didn’t think we could do πŸ™‚

Jo
    May 8, 2013 at 10:15 am

I also meant to say.. These words sum it up SO beautifully.

“But CrossFit makes me unafraid. It makes me try things that are not easy, it pushes me out of my comfort zone and I’m hoping that the stronger my body gets, the stronger my mind gets. I need it to be strong to not feel overwhelmed by life. When I look at life in bite size pieces and just one push-up at a time – it’s beautiful :)”

Jo
    May 8, 2013 at 10:12 am

See when a blog post makes you cry and you are shouting at the screen “YES THAT, THAT AGAIN AND THAT SOME MORE”

I started Crossfit 4 months ago, and it is possibly the scariest, most challenging thing I have done. And sometimes (for me) that is just walking in the door. But I know once I am there I can only commit to everything I am doing. Yes before workout I may mumble a bit, but once the 3,2,1 GO sounds out you move and get on with it. Sucking it up.

I have major struggles with acknowledging my achievements in all parts of life, I dismiss them all with a ‘sure everyone can do that’ or ‘I am not good, people are better’ but at Crossfit I am being forced by the people around me to acknowledge it, the fact that they are proud of me, pushing me, wanting me to succeed is quite a new thing for me.

My biggest problem at Crossfit is my head, the fear of not being able to do things well /right/at all. Dead Lifts are not my friend at the moment as I’ve totally over thought the whole process and now freak out at them. But I will get there, keep trying, keep being coached.

My body is fairly unrecognisable in those 4 months, with 2 months of paleo added in as well.

I guess I do also forget how badass it is, you said that to me when I got my first handstand a couple of weeks ago, and it helps and forces me to think, (for a nano second) yeah I can do it.

In the last week I have started to try and stop thinknig of myself as the oldest/biggest/slowest/weakest person at Crossfit who has just started and kinda just getting through and started thinking of myself as a Crossfit Athlete, and also trying to stop apologising for my existence at crossfit. Yes I am the oldest, nearly double the age of some, but I am there, I am committed and yeah I am a Crossfitter too πŸ™‚

May 13, 2013 at 10:01 am

I still get the anxiety butterflies in my tummy before I head over to the box. Once I see the workout though I don’t think about it anymore, I know that one way or another I will get through it once the bell goes and it’s time for action!

There are so many things in Crossfit that I still think I will never be able to do to (pull ups, freestanding handstands, muscle ups, etc.) but I have already done many things from that list (rope climbs, handstands against the wall, etc.) so I’m just taking my time and trusting that with every session I do get a tiny bit stronger and more skilled.