15 In fitness/ nutrition

Mindset

Last week I was reading an interview that Kaisa Larkas did with Muireann Carey-Campbell and one thing that she said spoke so loudly to me that I have been thinking about it ever since:

I work out because I love my body, not because I hate it.

Read it again.

Does that not sound perfect to you?? Did you not just have an “Aha!” moment??

How often do I still hear women say “I have to drag myself to the gym, I still have 2kgs of baby fat to loose. Ugh.” or “This cake looks great, I have to have it – but the Diet will have to start tomorrow!” ?

Think right now:

Do you exercise because you don’t like your body OR do you exercise because you love your body and moving it makes you feel good/strong/happy/healthy?

Do you deprive yourself from all the foods you think taste nice because you don’t like your body OR do you feed your body the best real food there is (even when it’s cake made with real butter, real cream, etc.) because you love your body and eating this way makes you feel good/strong/happy/healthy?

The mindset of deprivation has definitely not worked for me. For years and years I focused on what I should NOT do or eat. These days I think the other way around, I think what I can do to ADD to my life – go for a walk/run/etc., let the kids get messy, go to bed earlier and forget about the ironing πŸ™‚ and eat loads of fresh and REAL food because — eventually the good stuff will crowd out the bad so naturally that you don’t even notice that you don’t want cake all the time.

What do you think?

Metropolitan Mum
    May 11, 2013 at 9:42 am

I work out too bc I love my body. And bc I love working out.

May 13, 2013 at 9:32 am

Good answer πŸ™‚

running_kmlv
    May 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Love this post so much! I’m working so hard to get to the point where you are when it comes to attitude towards food. And even if I’m not there yet, I’m so much better than just a few years ago! πŸ™‚

May 13, 2013 at 9:26 am

I’m definitely not 100% there yet either. On work days I have eating under control because I have a schedule, on weekends on holidays I still eat way too much 😐

Helen
    May 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm

hmm I don’t love my body, I’m working on it and most of the time I’m ok with it. However I workout not to punish it anymore but because it makes me feel great. It’s a mental thing. However I do agree that a lot of women use hatred of what their body looks like to motivate their workouts which is sad.

May 13, 2013 at 9:32 am

I used to use exercise as ‘punishment’ for something I ate and can say it’s not an effective way to get healthy – if in your mind you’re just stomping away at a step machine until all the calories you’ve consumed from 3 giant cookies are burnt, you still still emotionally crap afterwards. I try now not to analyze my body too much, I just go with how it feels to be in my skin – if I feel strong and flexible and not bloated, I’m happy πŸ™‚ (nevermind that I know that I don’t have a waist and my upper arms are genetically gigantic! it’s just a fact right now and not connected to emotions… most of the time πŸ™‚

Katie
    May 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

I love that saying; so much that I shall store it in my motivational quotes for when I’m feeling down.
    I won’t lie…at some points starting the workout feels like a effort but the worst workouts are the ones that don’t actually start πŸ™‚
    I totally agree when you talk about ‘real food’ after only 3 weeks of changing my ‘treats’ I’m amazed by my energy, weight loss and resistance towards cake,nutella, chocolate etc..It would appear that real food is most definitely the way forward πŸ™‚

May 13, 2013 at 9:24 am

Working out often feels like an effort in the beginning, especially if it’s early in the morning 😐 The best thing I’ve learned is to ignore any pre-exercise feelings or mood I might have and just get on with it.
      As for treats – I need to re-evaluate again – I’m eating way too many sweet things even though they’re raisins, dates, etc. My trouble is that once I eat a little bit of something super sweet, I want more!

Monika
    May 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

You are so spot on! The only way to success is through love- love of a goal, of oneself, of the journey.
    This is a fab post for me to read, particularly today! Thx! πŸ™‚

May 13, 2013 at 9:21 am

If only more women realised that exercise is not punishment for eating cake but an endorphin-reward for your body & mind πŸ™‚