8 In nutrition/ recipes

Coconut chocolate ice cream

Once upon a time were were all told that coconut milk, cream or oil was bad for us. That was around the same time that I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter was thought to have been healthy.

Today everyone knows that there ain’t nothing wrong with real food – avocados, full fat butter and all coconut products do all have plenty of fat but it’s all natural and therefore much better for us than artificial low fat foods. Coconut products are especially good for us in many many ways – my friend Lisa has just written about itΒ so I won’t repeat everything here.

I have been using coconut oil for cooking for almost a year and we make bircher muesli type of breakfast with coconut cream, oats, raisins and seeds on a regular basis. Last night I made coconut cream ice cream for the first time – I have seen recipes floating around but I was a bit sceptical as to whether it was going to look and taste like ice cream and whether the kids were actually going to eat it.

The ice cream passed both tests! It amazingly does taste like ice cream and the kids love it. I will be making loads of this in the summer, probably trying a mango version next. The treat is amazingly easy to prepare and any recipe that is fast and uses few ingredients that are all real foods is a winner in my book:

Coconut chocolate ice cream

Prep time: 2 min, freezing time: 4-6 hours

Ingredients
– 1 can coconut cream
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Chuck all ingredients into a food processor for a minute.
Transfer to a container and freeze.
Let defrost a bit before scooping into bowls.

Have you tried coconut ice cream? Do you have any good flavours to recommend?

NOTE – Added 19 May 2013: This treat is best eaten on the same day. Once it freezes completely overnight or even a few days, it’s very hard to defrost πŸ™ Β So make a little batch at lunchtime for dinner and it’ll be nice and creamy, but don’t leave any for the next day!Β

Donna D
    May 14, 2013 at 10:27 am

Oh I have made a coconut pineapple before, but used the milk plus the cream. I found it to be a bit too icy, probably because of the milk and pineapple juice. But you’ve given me an idea – cut the milk and just rely on the cream and pineapple! Will retry it and let you know if it works!

May 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I tried to eat the ice cream a few days later but it had frozen so solid it didn’t defrost at all! I think the key with this combination is to eat it on the same day before it freezes too much.

Janene
    May 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I have been on a coconut kick myself and I found that frying chicken in coconut oil gives the chicken a pretty incredible taste. yum yum

This coconut chocolate ice cream seems simple enough to make and I will give it a try this week. The only thing I would change is to add in some chocolate chips, just because I am a chocophile πŸ™‚

May 13, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I cook everything in coconut oil and to be honest I can’t even taste the coconut in coconut oil anymore πŸ™‚ That’s why I probably love coconut cream – it’s properly coconutty.

PoweredbyPB
    May 13, 2013 at 11:18 am

This sounds amazing, definitely saving this to make some time soon!

May 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm

You’ve given me an idea – to add peanut butter next time!

Lisa Gusto
    May 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Yummy! Need to try that!! And I don’t need an ice cam machine, like it!

May 13, 2013 at 9:18 am

Using an ice cream machine would probably make it a bit creamier as the mixture is in constant motion. Using a freezer works well too though, you just have to let the ice cream melt a bit before you can scoop it up. I mixed it up quite a bit once it had defrosted a little – that way it’s less ‘icy’ and more ‘creamy’.