12 In crossfit/ fitness

Buzzing from CrossFit

CrossFit was so good last week I am just now starting to walk normally again. On Tuesday we did back squats and I got up to 50kg for the last 3 reps. Then we did 5 rounds of pistols (with a box behind us so we wouldn’t fall over πŸ™‚ and hip hinges with 25kg on the barbell on the shoulders. It was 30 seconds of pistols, 30 seconds off, 30 seconds hip hinges, 30 seconds off, etc. When I read the workout on the blog earlier that morning it didn’t seem that difficult but now I know better – pistols are squats on one leg at a time = totally impossible to do right EVEN with the box under the bum, and the squats and the hip hinges with weight meant that my legs were sore as anything the next day.

On Thursday we did sumo deadlifts. I got up to 60kg for the last 3 reps. Watch out Beyonce, this booty’s going to be nicer than yours one day! πŸ™‚

The workout was 4 rounds of:
5 Hang power clean
5 Shoulder to overhead
5 Lunges per side, with barbell
– Rest 1min

I did the first round with 30kg but after the 4th lunge fell over 😐 I quickly took 5kg off the barbell and completed the workout with 25kg. It is ridiculous how hard it is to do lunges with a weight.

Other than that we did of course the usual ‘warm-up’ of running, pull ups, push ups, kettlebell lunges, etc. I can’t wait to see what next week has in store πŸ˜€

By the way, the CrossFit Games European regional competition was on this weekend – check out what kind of badass stuff went down – http://games.crossfit.com

fortnightflo
    May 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Oh my that looks HARD!

Helen
    May 21, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Pistol squats are evil, I played around with them for about 4 months and still didn’t really master them. But then my squats are pants as well.

Good job on the sumo deadlifts!

JenJ
    May 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Yay you! What’s the difference between sumo deadlifts and regular ones? We just did them last night as well and I made it up to 55kg. Never thought I could lift that much. Hooray. πŸ™‚

MrsB @ Mind over Matter
      May 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Sumo dead lift is like the regular kind but your hands are close together, almost touching.

Good job on the 55kg! I’m cautious with dead lifts usually as I’m worried I’ll injure my back if I don’t take it slow 😐

Ari
    May 21, 2013 at 12:35 am

Hi, I’m a new reader and am loving your blog name. That’s what I’ve been struggling with lately – my dang mind getting in the way! πŸ™‚

Anyway, those weights look intense, wow! Sounds like a killer workout!

MrsB @ Mind over Matter
      May 21, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I definitely haven’t mastered the mind over matter thing either but it’s something I’m working on every day (having it tattooed on me helps as well πŸ™‚

Bari
    May 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

You rock! I’m going to start strength training again after Bayshore. There, I said it. Probably not crossfit because that scares the bejeezus out of me, but I’m going to do something. I have to get this body in shape.

MrsB @ Mind over Matter
      May 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I have never been able to do strength training on my own – I just never know what to do and how! There are many options though as far as different classes go or bootcamp or other kinds of circuit training. I’m not planning on becoming buff, I just want to prevent running- and life related injuries πŸ™‚

MuMuGB
    May 20, 2013 at 2:18 pm

It looks like you can’t be stopped! I haven’t even tried and I already feel tired. How do you do it?

MrsB @ Mind over Matter
      May 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm

How do I do it? I just follow the instructions that the coach gives me and LIFT! πŸ˜€

Lisa Gusto
    May 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm

OMG that looks heavy! X

MrsB @ Mind over Matter
      May 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

It’s all relative πŸ™‚ I’m focusing on my form as well as going up with the weight – I don’t want to injure myself by rushing into trying to lift too much.