10 In nutrition

Staying away from dairy: WHY and HOW and WHAT ABOUT MY BONES??

Last summer when I quit Citalopram I was on such a I-don’t-want-no-chemicals-in-my-body mode that I quit taking the pill as well. I have always struggled with hormonal breakouts so not surprisingly as soon as I quit the artificial hormones, my face totally lost the plot.

I went back on the pill for a couple of months but then decided to try something else – I quit dairy.

It’s been over 5 months now that I’ve limited most dairy from my diet. I still have goat’s milk once in a while or a bit of cheese here and there, but mostly I use almond or coconut milk.

It’s taken a while but I can safely say now that even though I was very sceptical, I do not have the crazy hormonal pimple days every month any more. And what’s more – I don’t use Proactive face wash and/or Clarisonic face brush anymore and my face is STILL pretty presentable.

I should have tried this a long time ago, I think I probably did more damage than good by scrubbing my face with that strong Proactive stuff all the time. And I don’t really miss not having dairy – I am used to drinking black coffee now and my face seems to handle the occasional cheese in quiches or omelettes when I’m eating something I haven’t prepared myself and don’t want to come across as the totally fussy eater.

“But what about calcium?! What about your bones?!?” ask many of my friends.

The good news is that there is calcium in almost every real food there is, the list is endless, here are some of the things I eat on a regular basis:

Bone health is actually equally dependent on vitamin-D and even more dependent on strength training.

Yet people seem to ignore that bit and just focus on calcium.  Have you ever heard anyone say  “You don’t do any strength training? But what about your bones?!?”

So I’m not worried. I have a blood test every year (long story, it’s not something I do for ‘fun’) so I know I’m getting everything I need from the food I eat AND I make sure I get vitamin-D and I do strength training.

What’s your relationship with dairy? Is it an issue for you or do you tolerate it well?

sami
    May 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

so glad this has worked for you too. i came to this conclusion a year ago as well. i went off the pill almost 10 years ago and my body is still recovering. i started to visit an aesthetician. first things she asked me, did i have any female hormone/thyroid issues and food allergies. she diagnosed me with rosacea. sure enough i started cutting out red wine, chocolate, caffeine and dairy and wow, my skin and my system are so much happier. kevin is also on board with me. he drinks milk but he does not allow me to buy cheese, except for special occasions. i do love pizza in the summer, but again only once in a while as a treat. i can eat greek yogurt with no issues. and i have found some really good almond based cheeses that even kevin will eat. i have also noticed there are more kinds of non dairy milk, hemp, nut, mixes. i also take in vitamin d, & strength train. my seasonal allergies are almost gone as well. i have also been lactose intolerant my entire life, just wish my parents had know this as i suffered horrible skin issues as a child, kids making fun of me at school, my face was so red and blotchy, skin would blister, scab and flake off.

Gail
    May 25, 2013 at 4:14 am

Thanks in support of sharing such a nice thought, post is fastidious, thats why i have read
    it entirely

Otilia
    May 25, 2013 at 4:08 am

I’m not sure if I will ever be able to stop eating diary…I love it so much!

Margarita
    May 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I’m trying out a dairy free existence as well, although it’s not completely dairy free – I allow some cheese every now and again. But I’ve purchased daiya cheese shreds as well (which are soy free), and we are starting to do more rice & almond milk. My daughter has a cow milk allergy, it’s not deathly, but I think it contributes to stomach and ear aches.

CindySleepSpin
    May 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I never was a milk drinker but I love cheese and ice cream and currently am rather obsessed with Greek yogurt. I’ve never had any issues with dairy, luckily, but I have a ton of other things I can’t have (hazelnuts, soy, peas, peanuts; I also don’t eat red meat and haven’t since I was 11- I just don’t like it.) I wish I could quit ice cream the way I quit red meat!

I think that once people find something that works for them, they should stick to it, especially if it is helping with medical issues. (That being said if I was told that not eating ice cream would get rid of my chronic headaches- I’m not sure I could do it.)

May 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I think I will struggle with ice cream in the summer. But then again – summer might never come so problem solved! 🙂

Jo
    May 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm

When I started paleo 3 months ago one of the things I wanted to see about was stopping dairy and my skin. I had hoped it would have a positive impact.

Again same as you over the years I have only ever had success with no spots via the pill and the side effects were so bad that it wasn’t worth it.

Now heading towards 40 I am still plagued by acne,

I did strict paleo the first 2 months BUT it allows grass fed butter and I was having the odd protein shake, so in fact still bits of dairy I guess.

My skin did improve but I also started a new skin care system at the same time

My skin for the last 4 weeks has got much much worse, and I have no idea if it is the tiny dairy cheats I’ve had (literally 2 lots of cheese and an ice cream) running out of the face wash I was using, or stress. all / any…who knows???

But I am back to the place of sore painful cycstic acne that gets me down as it hurts, looks like crap and I have no idea what to do next.

I stood in the supermarket yesterday reading face washes, I had ordered a natural face wash 2 weeks ago and started using it and skin isn’t improving, so do I keep trying or try ANOTHER new thing…?

Oh and I was told about those special face wash whizzy things this week…but it is SO much money to spend on a ‘it might help’

I have decided to stop protein shakes and any more cheese cheats for a few weeks to see if skin will heal a bit.

If I knew that cheese is the trigger then well it is an easy thing to not have.

I must go google what it is in dairy that triggers as I need to know if grass fed butter is still a trigger…giving that up would be a much harder issue.

May 24, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I’m taking Agnus castus as well – an herbal supplement meant to balance the hormones. I often forget but do take it at least every 3rd day, maybe it’s something you could give a go – cheaper than Clarisonic brushes (and those only address the issue from the surface and not the actual cause of the issue).

Jem
    May 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Gawd, I wish going dairy free had helped my spots. I look like a bloody join-the-dot picture most of the time.