12 In nutrition/ recipes

Coconutty summer porridge

Coconut cream and oat summer porridge

I tried to have non sweet breakfasts last week (this is why) but after a few days I really couldn’t stomach eggs first thing in the morning anymore. I eat a lot of eggs in general but life gets all the fun taken out of it when my breakfast doesn’t have a bit of sweetness in it. Kind of like eating pizza or hamburgers with a knife and a fork – good but not. much. fun.

Usually in the winter my breakfast is oats in a thermos topped with hot milk (almond or goat) – by the time I get to work the porridge is ready. In the summer my breakfast is either pancakes with eggs, milled chia seeds and maca powder or this delicious creamy coconut summer (aka ‘cold πŸ™‚ porridge.

When I can I buy Biona coconut milk where the ingredients are just coconut and water, or I get their creamed coconut that is pure coconut and has to be diluted in water. I find that many of the regular supermarket coconut cream or milk products have lots of other ingredients, most of them are just thickeners so not hugely problematic, but I like when my food’s as simple and close to natural as possible.

Ingredients

– Coconut cream or milk
– Oats
– Raisins
– Cinnamon

Method

Mix enough oats with a can of coconut cream so that it’s still quite liquid. Store in the fridge overnight. In the morning, add raisins and cinnamon and a dash of milk (almond milk, in my case) if needed to loosen it up.

This porridge goes very well with black coffee and it’s so nicely creamy and smooth – I cannot believe I love it so much as a few years ago I couldn’t stand anything that tasted or smelled like coconut. Β It even doubles well as dessert in the evening πŸ™‚

What’s your favourite healthy summer breakfast?

What I Ate Wednesday | Muzzall Runs
    June 12, 2013 at 8:55 am

[…] breakfast I was actually organised and last night made these Overnight Oats from Mrs M. They were my first overnight oats and I can’t weight to have them again, what are your […]

Claire
    May 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

That looks gorgeous, a great way of having oats for breakfast now the weather is (hopefully) improving!

JenJ
    May 27, 2013 at 10:18 am

Oooh.. that sounds lovely and as I’m currently sans kitchen a good alternative to cooked porridge!

May 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Let me know how you like it πŸ™‚

Jenn
    May 27, 2013 at 2:20 am

That sound fantastic, and I usually have all those ingredients lying around anyway. Must try it!

May 27, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I initially thought coconut cream would make it too rich but thankfully that’s not the case. I haven’t tried to give it to the kids yet though, they are addicted to regular warm porridge.

running_kmlv
    May 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm

It looks so good! And since I love pretty much anything with coconut… I’ll probably this soon.

My breakfast is the same pretty much all year round. I have oatmeal pancakes with different add ins on weekends and oatmeal with cinnamon on workdays.

I’m the weird one who finds oatmeal already creamy on its own, so I just make it with water and crushed flax seeds.

In summer I sometimes also experiment with green smoothies, but I come back to oatmeal pretty quickly.

I’ve been also know to have eggs or buckwheat flake porridge for breakfast but they don’t last long. (Like you, I want my breakfast to be sweet.)

And once in a while, I’ll just have cake for breakfast. Usually when there’s leftovers from a celebration the night before. But that only happens a few times a year.