18 In running

Running in short shorts

Short shorts

Tonight I went for a run in my itty bitty shorts for the first time.  I have been saving them for those runs in the woods in Estonia where no one will see me but today it was still warm at 8pm and I thought ‘what the heck’, put them on and headed out the door.

The good news is that I felt like I was wearing nothing.

The bad news is that I felt like I was wearing nothing.

After 3kms it was no longer ‘fun’ that I hardly had anything on – the rubbing of my inner thighs got annoying. 7.5kms was quite enough in the end, any more and my thighs would have been in pain.

Verdict: If you’re a slender hourglass body type with a thigh gap, you probably love running in shorts like that.  If you’re a straight up and down sausage body type like me – your inner thighs will not love them.

Oh well. I’m a little bit disappointed that I’m not one of those cool runner chicks who can pull off these kinds of shorts after all. I think in my head I was.

But now I know that I’m better off in my black Nike shorts that are only about 3 inches longer than these but nice and tight so nothing rubs.

MuMuGB
    July 13, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Well, can I just say that your shorts are far too long compared to my daughter’s ones.
    Nb: your legs look great!

Ellie
    July 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

You have to lube up. Seriously – other wise you can’t ever run in anything short. That’s how so many runners I know (and me!) get away with it.
    Although, I’m firmly in the skirt-wearing category of runner.

I use 2Toms SportShield Roll on, but Bodyglide is equally good and it’s easy to get at most running shops.

Medal Slut
    July 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Having been a fat chick in my past (UK size 22), I have too much loose skin on my thighs for anything other than 3/4 lycra capris. It’s really the best option for everyone around me as well! The only real drawback for me is the ridiculous calf tan. Not sexy.

Stuff I like: Dailymile - Mind over Matter
    July 10, 2013 at 1:03 pm

[…] summer the arm band for it can rub a bit (I have the quads of steel but my upper arms are chubby like my inner thighs […]

melissa
    July 10, 2013 at 10:49 am

I totally share your opinion of the running shorts! I wear leggings in everything but the hottest days, for which I reserve my running skirts (which compression shorts underneath). These are long enough to not make thigh rub an issue, too. But I did recently break down and buy a pair of Nike tempos, and frankly, I feel ridiculous. I can see I look okay, but it’s how I feel that throws me off my game. And for inner thigh rub – you reeeeeally want some BodyGlide. Zero chafing after that. In fact, I use it on my thighs when I’m wearing summer dresses, too. Great stuff.

Lucy
    July 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Totally know the ‘running with nothing on’ feeling – had exactly the same with my short shorts, and exactly the same chafing issues. They had always been really comfy, until the time I ran a half marathon in them. Oh the screams of pain when I got into the shower afterwards!

Mind you, you have reminded me how cool they felt, so whilst this hot weather persists I might dig them out for some short runs. Thank you!

running_kmlv
    July 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I actually love running in loose short shorts! Exactly because it feels like I’ve nothing on. :p I used to feel a bit self conscious in them (I felt self conscious in tights – short and long – as well) but by now I just could care less!

If it feels good while running… Who cares how aesthetic it looks?

For the record – I’m too much of a pear to ever look good in shorts. :p

July 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Yeah, I’ve seen photos of you – hourglass with a thigh gap! I’m not sure we can be friends anymore.

(I’m lying of course 😉

Katie
    July 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I have the same problem – Some of us are just not built for the thigh gap and therefore short shorts are a mare! (Not that I’d want a thigh gap mind)
    There are day’s I see girls out in tiny shorts and I feel so envious, however my thighs rub and I worry about butt exposure…Ughh I just gave up!
    Never mind least your shorts+legs looked good even if they weren’t comfy 🙂

July 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm

They looked good standing still. I’m sure I flashed some of my bum going up a hill 🙂

Annaliisa
    July 9, 2013 at 5:18 am

That’s why I have a hard time finding running shorts – they are usually way too short and I will rub my tights a lot with them. Even when there was a time I had VERY skinny legs, I still had this issue. I have been looking for some shorts that have inner pants in them but haven’t bought them until now.. Still running in my good old adidas short tights 🙂

July 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I see a lot of women running in these kinds of tiny shorts – I wonder if they are putting up with the rubbing or whether there are there really that many runners out there with a thigh gap? 🙂

Bari
    July 9, 2013 at 12:09 am

I’ve had the hardest time finding shorts that work for me, and you’re a lot smaller than I am. It’s disappointing that companies don’t make more shorts for women who actually have thighs and butts.

July 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I am back in my short ‘tights’. They always come in black so totally boring but they are comfortable.