9 In daily life/ fitness/ holiday/ nutrition

Holiday fitness & nutrition

I did not manage to stay totally gluten, sugar or dairy free during our month-long holiday in Estonia.

80% of the time I stuck to my regular diet of fruit, veg, meat, eggs, etc. but non-dairy or non-soy milk was impossible to find and towards the end of my second week some pastries started to sneak in.

Those darn delicious pastries

Those darn delicious pastries

Strawberry sorbet covered in dairy free chocolate

Strawberry sorbet covered in dairy free chocolate

I’m not beating myself up over the fact that I didn’t stick to my clean eating, I think it’s ok to let loose a bit during holidays.

However, my running suffered – I felt really heavy, sluggish and slow on almost every run. My stomach was unsettled and I could not have done any long runs (my longest was 16km but all others were 8-10km).

Fish platter

Fish platter

Lunch with friends

Lunch with friends

Now I’m back to eating the way that my body likes and my first run here felt already so much better than all my holiday runs. It’s good to feel light on my feet again and not worry about tummy issues – it’s great to get confirmation from your body that the way you’re eating is making it run better. Literally 🙂

Hot summer days are so much better with beer

Hot summer days are so much better with beer

Potato and gorgonzola pizza :P .Delish.

Potato and gorgonzola pizza 😛 .Delish.

Other than running I cycled every day with the 4-year old at the back of my bike, I tried double unders a few times and did a few sessions of pull-ups / toes to bar at the playground with rubber bands aiding. Those sessions were never full-on because all the neighborhood kids loved the bands so we ended up giving all of them a go and those who finished went straight back to the end of the line 🙂

Toes to bar MrsB style

Toes to bar MrsB style

Toes to bar MrB style

Toes to bar MrB style

I also used the opportunity when we took the kids to the pool to swim some laps. Because I’ve always had glasses I can only swim breaststroke with my head staying above water – a speedy swimmer that does not make.

Several times though I swam 1km a a time. It took me exactly 30 minutes and I was actually pretty tired when I stopped and it wasn’t as boring as I always have considered swimming to be 🙂

So all in all it was a very active holiday and it was great. Now I’m back to eating clean and lifting weights at CrossFit. Just how much I missed CrossFit and how much I love it – that will be in the next post!

Mimi
    August 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

Ma juba rõõmustasin ka selle piimavaba jäätise pärast, aga kui see on see Väikse Tomi maasikasmuuti jäätis, siis see sisaldab vadakupulbrit, mis on piimast 🙁 http://www.premiafoods.eu/est/tooted/jaatis/vaikesed-jaatised/mahlajaad/maasikasmuuti-jaatis-sokolaadimaitselises-glasuuris

August 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Kas vadak on whey? 😐 Ma kasutan pulbrit sellest ja vaheses koguses see mulle midagi ei tee (voi tegelt…. praegu on mul nagu taidsa metsas sest eestis sai kohupiima soodud, voib-olla on see natuke selle vadaku suu ka? :|)

Mimi
        September 2, 2013 at 10:26 am

Jaa, vadak on whey. Usun, et kui soovid dairyt täielikult vältida, siis vadakul võib kindlasti olla oma osa mingite vaeguste põhjustamisel. Siin ka natuke infi veel: http://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadak

MuMuGB
    August 25, 2013 at 12:40 am

With all this exercise you must have no fat left! I totally need to exercise when I am back in London…

Jem
    August 23, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I find it interesting how some people seem to be so affected by what they eat. I’m yet to give up sugar to see how I react to that but generally my body seems happy to plod along on whatever. The only time I feel bloated is immediately after a heavy carb meal but within a couple of hours I’m totally fine, and part of that is probably gluttony rather than any specific carb-ness?! I don’t suffer with any of the symptoms that some of the low carbers get and I don’t feel any different since cutting out the dairy.

I may be saying something else entirely if September [sugar free month] goes to plan, mind you!

August 24, 2013 at 8:24 am

Until I started running distances over 10k, the sugar or the wheat didn’t bother me much. Now that I know though what a truly non-bloated state and a totally ‘silent’ 🙂 digestion feels like (in everyday life AND in running), I will never go back to my old ways of eating.

Jem