After a very restless night due to having screwed up my iphone reset process and lost a lot of photos and videos, I got out of bed at 5:40 and went to the 7am CrossFit class to do my third athlete level test.
These tests are on every month to check how everyone’s progressing and if you pass 9 out of the 10 elements, including the workout at the end, you are officially in the next level.
The new level doesn’t bring one any benefits other than:
- a boost to one’s ego 😉
- being allowed to use the related colour marker on the board when you write your name, and
- having to try to do all the WODs from then on with the weights recommended for that level.
My weakness is pull ups and ring dips but awesomely this month’s test only included the ring dips. However, it included something called skin the cat which I’d never done before and which does not look all that easy.
But here we go, this is how it went:
1. 800m run – Had to do it in less than 4:28, ran it in 3.24. Good but yuck. I hate running so fast and so early in the morning.
2. Double unders – Had to do 2. Thanks to practicing last night on a piece of cardboard (my garden is in shambles due to the renovation and I have no even surface anywhere) I did manage to get 2 after a few attempts.
3. Handstand hold – Had to do it for 30 seconds. Easy peasy.
4. Air squats – Had to do 70 in 2 minutes, did 70 in 1:40something.
5. Ring dips – Had to do 3, did none. So.Freaking.Impossible.
6. Skin the cat – Had to do 1 and did do 1 – with a lot of guidance from the coach (lower! a little bit lower! JUST A BIT MORE!… and now UP! up! you can do it! up! UP!) and cheering from everyone else. It took me about 6 attempts but that’s ok as it was my first time trying.
7. Back squat – Had to do 1 with bodyweight. Weighed myself and lo and behold I was only 60kg (last time I was 63kg). Did the squat without too much effort although I can’t say it was super easy – I’ve had a month off from weightlifting after all.
8. Shoulder press – Had to do 1 at 0.45 of bodyweight = 27kg and it wasn’t too difficult.
9. Tall clean – Had to do 1 with 15kg bar. The easiest thing ever.
10. WOD: Jackie – (1000 m row + 50 thrusters with 15kg + 30 jumping pull ups)
Had to do it in less than 11 minutes, did it in 9:31.
So as you can see – 11 months after I first set my foot in that CrossFit box of awesomeness, I passed my first level test and am now an Intermediate Athlete! 😀
And now I’m happy and will happily be an intermediate CrossFitter forever because the next level’s tests are INSANE!