7 In half marathon/ running

Run to the Beat nr.4 aka I will never again not take tapering seriously

This morning I ran my 4th Run the Beat half marathon, here’s how I’ve done:

> September 2010 – Time: 1:51:13
> September 2011 – Time: 1:50:11
> October 2012 – Time: 1:49:05
> September 2013 – Time: 1:51:39

Does that happen to runners?  That all of a sudden after years of running you have a race that’s worse than the first one you ever did?!?

What’s worse than the time, is the fact that the race today felt very tough. My legs just wouldn’t move. I wasn’t sure I was going to finish at one point and then at mile 12 when half way up the Hill from Hell, I walked.

That has never happened to me before during a race.

So why do I think today was such a struggle?

1. I did not taper properly – I went to Crossfit on Tuesday and Thursday and have been really sore all week. After 10km my legs felt like led.

2. The new route was very loopy – London is a big city, why the need for little loops on a race route, especially ones that involve squeezing 19,000 people through narrow gates? (I heard that at some point during the race the bottleneck was 5 minutes and the marshals started waving people to just keep going and skip that part of the route!?!)

3. Right at mile 12 marker we had to run up the hill towards the Greenwich observatory. That is a big hill. And to make matters worse, once you get up you can see the finish line but lo’ and behold – the route turned AWAY from it for another freaking loop!  (that.was.simply.mean)

So…. another race, another lesson learned.

My next half marathon is the Royal Parks one on 6th of October. Let’s hope that that one goes better 🙂

Royal Parks Half Marathon 2013 | Mind over Matter
    October 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm

[…] 10km my quads started to tire, same bloody thing as during last month’s Run to the Beat. That to me means I have run the first 10km a bit too hard – during training runs I always get […]

On Crossfit and running and knowing your own limits | Mind over Matter
    September 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

[…] managed/wanted to blog for a couple of weeks. Real life is a bit chaotic at the moment and Run to the Beat was such a terrible race for me that it’s taken me a while to stop being pissed off at my […]

Helen
    September 9, 2013 at 6:11 am

hmm if you said this was the first time you had to walk but your time was only 30 secs later I would say you have got faster but your endurance has dropped?

Well done for doing it 🙂

Bari
    September 8, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I hate courses where you can see the finish line that close to the end but can’t get to it. So annoying. You really still ran a great race, especially considering how sore you are. Respect the taper and Oct 6 will go much better.

Em
    September 8, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Don’t beat yourself up you still got a great time – I could only dream of getting anywhere near that!

Don’t stress, look forward to the next race and taper well for that – Here’s to smashing a great time at Royal Parks.

x

JenJ
    September 8, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Well done. I think you still ran a FAST race (much faster than I’ve ever managed!!!). So be proud of that.

FitBits Tess
    September 8, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Ahh, I wouldn’t worry about a mere 26 seconds, that’s nothing! You’ve been consistent each year and alright, you probably would’ve done a bit better had you tapered, but the point is you did it, you got out there and raced so give yourself a pat on the back!

I was meant to run it too but had to pull out as my dodgy knees forced me to take a couple of weeks out of training and I knew I couldn’t make the distance.

Good luck on your next one, and don’t forget to taper!! x