10 In stuff I like

Stuff I like: Make-up for the busy/sporty types

I remember when I was about 25 years old I repeatedly lectured a colleague of mine because she ate her breakfast at work at 8:30 in the morning. “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day… you need to eat it when you wake up… I NEVER NOT have time to eat breakfast…”

Oh what a fool I was. Mainly because it’s not actually necessary to eat breakfast the moment you open your eyes and also because I hadn’t learned the lesson of “never say never” yet.

At the age of 37, I have NOT had time to eat breakfast first thing in the morning for longer than I want to remember.

I wake up, get dressed, prep the kids lunches, check that they have all their school things, if I have time I’ll do my make-up and semi-dry my hair. If not, I do the make up at the office and the hair will be dry after an hour on the tube (pretty – not, but dry and ponytailable).

When the world started to rave about intermittent fasting (not eating from e.g. 7pm until 9am) I thought – “Wow. I’m so ahead of the times. I’ve been doing this for YEARS!”

But anyway, I didn’t actually want to write about breakfast or intermittent fasting, I wanted to write about make-up.

Make-up for me has to be easy & fast (see above re busy mornings).

I’d love to know how to do my make-up “properly” – with eyeshadows, etc. but any time I’ve tried putting eyeliner under my eyes or using eyeshadow I end up looking slightly scary so I’ve given up.

Here’s what’s in my (tiny) make up bag:

1. Bobbi Brown eyebrow pencil in blonde
2. Lipstick Queen by Poppy lipstick Saint Rust (really nice, moist and semi-transparent; also works great as blush)
3. Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara in black (I always keep coming back to this one, even after trying Dior Blackout which is also very good but costs more)
4. Garnier tinted concealer (this stuff totally ‘melts’ into your face after a few minutes – I have never seen a concealer do that – very little rubbing in required; I put it under my eyes as well as on my cheeks and chin)

———————————————————————–

I try a lot of beauty products but I always tend to come back to many of the very simple products I first tried a long time ago.

(If you’re interested in my ‘reviews’ of things like Clarisonic, Proactive, microdermabrasion, collagen facials, collagen shots (drinkable kind), moisturisers of every sort, foundations of every sort, concealers of every sort, etc. let me know – I’ve tried them all)

The status at the moment is such – I’ve given up dairy and my face breaks out a lot less than it used to. I’ve therefore packed away the Clarisonic brush and the Proactive creams, I’ve also given up trying to use foundations because every kind I’ve tried makes my skin feel like it’s suffocating. A healthy glow from exercise and from eating right is all I need (AND a bit of eyebrow pencil, mascara and lipstick 🙂 ).

Where do you put on your make-up? At home? On the tube? At work? Never?
Do you wear any make up for when you exercise? (I confess I sometimes use concealer heading to 7am Crossfit class – without it I’d look a bit scary that early in the day)
What’s in your make-up bag?

Laura
    October 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Love this! In my make up bag: Rimmel Extra Super Lash Mascara (I swear by this- above lancome, yves saint laurent, all the big names) a heated eyelash curler, mac eyebrow pencil in fling and touche eclat. I love to wear make up- but often finishing my workout is more important than wearing make up. I have a clinique foundation if I’m going the whole hog and smash box pencils… that’s my day ‘standard’ make up.. I have lots of other ‘occasion’ make up x

October 3, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I used to swear by Touche Eclat but am now totally hooked on the Garnier concealer. How is the Clinique foundation you’re using? Not heavy on your face?

Laura
        October 4, 2013 at 8:15 am

Yeah, it’s fab- I have really dry skin. I think it’s super moisture makeup. x

illustr.
    October 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm

my MU collection is quite big – i’m a girly girl when it comes to make up. <i make my self up every morning when I go out and about. If I stay home the whole day I just wash my face and moisturize. I like more make up for evenings out and parties, during the day, depending on how much time do I have, I play around with eyeshadows (earthy tones usually) and blush and lippies. I wear make up to the gym if I've had it on before. If I work out early, I just cover a zit if I have any. I've been going swimming lately and the face I have on AFTER my swimming sessions at 21 o'clock is priceless – red panda-mascara-eyes, stripes all around my forhead from the swimming cap and eyes really baggy looking from the goggles, wet uncombed hair 😀 no make up will do there 😀

October 2, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Is it a good idea to wear a swimming cap? It’s to keep the chlorine from your hair, right?

illustr.
        October 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Yes, and when your hair is under the cap, it reduces water drag, so you go faster and stuff. And somebody mentioned hygiene reasons somewhere too…

October 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Ah, yes, hygiene. Probably a good point considering I usually share the pool with 20 kids… but then again – that water goes into my mouth every time I come up for air so 😐

Kerrie
    October 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I wish I could dry my hair on the way to work and have it ponytail-able!

I was wanting to try the Garnier roll on but I wasn’t sure! I have not so great bags, but I’m not a make up fanatic! I might give this a shot now!

I like Maxfactor’s Lip Stains. Stay on for long, with no greasiness, but it doesn’t have any moisturiser. Boo!
    The only time I exercise with make up on is when I forget its actually on! I barely wear it, but I decided on some mascara today since I had an interview…
    Thanks for sharing! Nice reading your post! 🙂

October 3, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I think I’ve tried these lip stains – I need my lips moist (I’m a recovered chapstick addict) so they don’t work for me 🙁
      I hope your interview went well!