9 In running

Pondering my leg pain and comparing running shoes – help needed!

Yesterday I went to see the leg specialist again, he had looked at my MRI results and the verdict / reason for the on-and-off pain behind my knee & calf is: a disk in my spine squashing the nerves going down that leg.

The possible reason for the disk doing that is my wonky pelvis, which is also the reason for my left leg ‘being’ shorter than my right one.

So basically my lower body is out of balance but that much I already knew because I can feel my left leg being shorter and the chiropractor told me last year that my pelvis was rotated.

The good news: there’s nothing wrong with my knee or my muscles and the disk/nerve issue is actually minor as well.

The bad news: my leg continues to be sore, some days more than others. I have a referral to a physio who’s supposed to be good and he’ll who’ll look at my running, see if my pelvis can be manually put back into place (sounds lovely, doesn’t it? πŸ™‚ or whether I need an insert in my left shoe.

Since I started having this leg pain in June I have been to see various physios and doctors and told them about changing my cadence and foot strike and now increasing mileage but I have always forgotten that in the spring I bought new shoes and put my old Adidas, in which I had been running since day 1, aka for 3 years (not the one pair, of course), on the shelf.

Those Adidas always felt very nice to run in and for the sake of a little experiment I dug out a pair that hadn’t been worn much and ran 26km in them. Last week I did 24.5km in either my Mizunos or Nike VomerosΒ (can’t remember :|) as my long run and I felt very stiff and sore afterwards. Today – today my body feels as if it’s just been for a short run around the block.

Could it be that the change in shoes somehow magnified my wonky pelvis / short leg issue and caused my leg pain AND IT’S TAKEN ME 8 MONTHS TO FIGURE THIS OUT?? 😐

I looked into the shoes I’m running in, these are the Adidas that I’ve had at least 6 pairs of:

adidas

Screenshot from Runner’s World.

These are categorised under neutral shoes and are well cushioned. The drop from heel to forefoot is 11.9cm.

——————

My second pair of shoes are Nike Zoom Vomero+ 7s, I bought these in January 2013 and ran in them during last year’s marathon training as well. I didn’t run the marathon in them though as I felt they were not as supportive over that distance as the Adidas were.

nikes

Screenshot from Runner’s World.

These are also categorised under neutral shoes and are less cushioned. The drop from heel to forefoot is 10.6mm.

——————

My latest pair of shoes is Mizuno Wave Rider 16s, I bought them in April 2013 after the marathon and ran in them throughout the summer – exactly when my leg problems first manifested. I couldn’t find the stats on the Wave Rider 16s but I’m hoping they are similar to the 15’s:

mizunos

Screenshot from Runner’s World.

These are also categorised under neutral shoes Β and have more heel cushioning than the Adidas but less forefoot cushioning. The drop from heel to forefoot is 11.8mm – almost the same as in the Adidas.

——————

I’m looking at all these stats but not one thing stands out to me that says – THAT’s why the Adidas suit you the best. 😐

What do you think – why does it feel like my body likes the Adidas the best? What stats should I be looking at? What do you think? Is anyone good with these kinds of things? Or maybe it’s not the shoes at all?!?!?

beats pro sale
    March 18, 2014 at 7:39 am

Wow, amazing blog format! How long have you been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The overall glance of your website is great, as well as the content!
    beats pro sale http://www.religionandnature.com/beats/beats-pro-sale.html

Long runs – What have they taught me? | Mind over Matter
    March 6, 2014 at 3:54 pm

[…] Wear my good old Adidas. – They’re heavy and ugly but for some reason my legs like them. […]

JR
    February 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

My brother is a hobby and always had problems with sore calves & knees. Changing shoes or attempts to change running style did not help much. Then he had a gait analysis done on a treadmill in a sports medicine center in Estonia -> they poured him special inserts for his shoes (totally different for left and right foot too, not just mirror :p) -> pain gone in 2 weeks. He can now use almost any type of running shoe without any problem as long as he has the inserts in.

JR
      February 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm

“hobby” was supposed to be followed by “triathlete”

Metropolitan Mum
    February 7, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I went for a test run on one of those treadmills connected to a computer in a shop. They recommended Mizunos. As they’ve got a bit of neon pink on them, I didn’t question any further πŸ™‚

Laura
    February 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I think it’s probably the style of the shoe- eg asics have very hard, high arches and I don’t like that, I assume you’ve had gait analysis when you’ve bought the shoes? x

February 5, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Every time I’ve run on the treadmill at the shop and they’ve said each time that the pair of shoes I was buying at that time suited me 😐 Maybe ‘gait analysis’ is actually more complicated than that, is it?

kitty
        February 6, 2014 at 11:59 am

when I had my gait analysis done, I first ran on the treadmill in my old shoes; then I ran barefoot; both were filmed; then we (I and the shoe salesman/gait analyst) discussed what we saw on the film and what I generally thought about running (incl the surfaces I ran on, the distances I was running and planning to run etc); and only then did we start looking at any new shoes on the shelves. so not “the shoes you’re buying suit you” but “let’s find you some shoes that suit you”.

not sure how helpful this is… and it all happened in Estonia, I wouldn’t know where in London you can find sth like that…

February 6, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Now that you described your experience I remembered that I only had that kind of an analysis before I bought the first pair of those Adidas (filming, etc.). It might be time to head back to the London Marathon Shop!