17 In bikram yoga/ nutrition

How is this possible?!?

Just a few months ago I wrote about coconut water saying it tastes like bum. Someone said I was way too harsh but it really tasted so totally vile that it made me shiver every time I tried it.

Since taking up Bikram yoga I have been drinking coconut water mixed with fruit juice after my weekly class and a miracle has happened – coconut water tastes totally fine to me now!  In fact I buy ginormous bottles of the plain variety and drink it on a daily basis!

I am totally puzzled. I even let my mother have a taste the other day and when she ran to the sink to spit it out I knew that it isn’t the coconut water that’s changed – it’s my freaking taste buds that have changed.

Is this possible?  I’ve never experienced this with any other food. The closest I’ve come to involves olives – for years I was opposed to their taste but this year I can eat them.

Is this old age? Is this what happens – you start tolerating things that taste totally weird? 🙂

Has this happened to anyone else? Does coconut water totally mess with your head too? Or any other food?

Siiri
    March 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm

coconut water.. the first time I tried it, I couldn’t finish it. Totally disgusting. Then, for some reason I bought it again. I disliked the taste, but part of me craved it. Now I love it. Strange.

Muriel
    February 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Well, it might have something to do with Bikram yoga. I am not a huge fan of coconut water, but I love drinking it after a Bikram session.
    The only time when my taste buds changed was when I was pregnant. Just saying!

Liska @NewMumOnline
    February 22, 2014 at 1:25 am

Have you detoxed recently, during that timeframe, as that WOULD cause your tastebuds to totally adjust in the way you describe x

February 22, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I don’t knowingly “detox” – I’m not even sure what that means – only drinking juice for a whole week? 😐

Bari
    February 22, 2014 at 12:31 am

coconut water is vile – your taste buds are messing with you

February 22, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Keep trying! I used to run from it and now I crave it – weirder things have NOT happened 🙂

FitBits Tess
    February 21, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I had this too – I won a month’s supply of Vita Coco and at first really didn’t like it but persevered and totally fell in love with it within a few days – it’s quite expensive though so I haven’t indulged much since. I really want some now!!

February 22, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I got a free bottle at Write This Run last year and it sat in my fridge until it was not good anymore. If I had only known then that I should have just kept trying!

abradypus
    February 21, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Apparently brains take shortcuts. With olives, they see small, round and black / green and think “ooh! I know this! This is like a grape! It will taste sweet!” and then when it doesn’t, the shock makes you really hate the taste. If you persevere, your brain adds Olive = salty into its options and stops being shocked that they’re not sweet. I suspect that’s one of the reasons people don’t like marmite. Their brains are saying “Ooh! Brown spread that goes on bread. This is like nutella!”

February 22, 2014 at 6:14 pm

That is very funny about olives and grapes but probably totally true 🙂 I have never tried marmite though but vegemite I don’t mind. Maybe because I didn’t grow up with Nutella??

Triin
    February 21, 2014 at 8:28 pm

These kind of things are exactly why people say “never say never” 🙂

illustr.
    February 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm

It is a scientific fact that about in two weeks the tastebuds on your tongue get used to new tastes. I should give spirulina a couple of weeks 😀 And I like ccoconut water 🙂

February 22, 2014 at 6:13 pm

OMG, spirulina is even worse than coconut water! I have a bag I bought two years ago and it’s mostly still full 😐

Lucy
    February 21, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’ve always liked coconut water, but I do find it tastes even better after a Bikram yoga class! I’ve found my taste-buds have changed, a lot of food I used to hate which now I love!

February 22, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I have never experienced such a drastic change in my taste buds, I don’t even remember now just how bad coconut water used to taste. So so weird.

Helen
    February 21, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Coconut water is VILE. I tried it once after Twitter raved about it. Twitter lied. The thought of the taste still makes me cry 🙁

February 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm

That’s EXACTLY how I used to feel about it. Mix it with pineapple juice and you might be converted in a few weeks as well 🙂