8 In crossfit

Comedy of errors or how some workouts just go all wrong

It’s a good thing I don’t take myself too seriously because today’s Crossfit session was a total c*ck-up for me. I’m never the fastest, I’m never the girl who lifts the heaviest weights but most of the time I can do some variation of the workout without feeling like I’m giving everyone else a comedy show.

Today I couldn’t.

It started withΒ overhead squats. My ankles are and have always been so tight that they don’t let me squat down low when I’m holding the barbell overhead. I tried baby weights on the barbell, I tried plates under my heels – I still only squatted barely to parallel and I dropped the bar several times front and back. The last time I dropped it I squashed a bug that was happily skipping along the box floor πŸ™

Ugh. Β I had (have) no proper form or proper control over my body the overhead squat movement. Β Dang those tight calves.

The workout that followed involved snatches and rope climbs. Snatch is a lift where the barbell ends up overhead just like in the overhead squat. Β I like to push myself a little out of my comfort zone when it comes to the workouts so I used 25kg for the snatches. I only had to do 2 every 90 seconds so I was going for it.

I know now that me trying to snatch 25kg does not look pretty. Β My arms were flaying all over the place and even thought I hardly had any weight on the barbell I made faces as if I was snatching double bodyweight.

When it came time for the first 2 rope climbs after the first 2 snatches – I couldn’t remember how to do it!!!

I could notΒ remember how to wrap my foot around the rope to get going! Β There’s nothing uncooler than asking the coach in the middle of the WOD how to do something. 😐

Eventually I got the hang of it again and did my rope climbs. They felt so much harder than I remember them being, probably because all those overhead squats had tired my arms and my back out.

So today’s Crossfit was a totalΒ Comedy of Errors.

Oh well. Β Can’t be a skilled and graceful badass every day. Β And at least my socks were cool πŸ˜‰

I’m actually not a machine | mind over matter
    June 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

[…] Monday I jumped straight into Crossfit of course but after Tuesday’s fiasco of a session I reminded myself that no, I’m not a machine and I need a few days off. I don’t feel that I’m […]

MuMuGB
    June 18, 2014 at 7:42 am

Well, you can not be good all the time, right? And if it helps, I am pretty sure that you are soooo much better than me!

June 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, we all have better days and less than great days. I’m taking a break from Crossfit for 2 days now and hopefully feel better on Friday (unless it’s freaking snatches or overhead squats again :|)

Bari
    June 18, 2014 at 1:19 am

Your socks were very cool. And so are you for getting through that workout.

June 18, 2014 at 1:45 pm

The socks are actually compression ones for running. They did a good job protecting my ankles from rope burn though.

2starsandaswirl
    June 17, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I am a consent supply of comedy in my box. All totally unintentionally.

Tonight I managed to hit the bar on my chin doing cleans.

I have started making the worst sounds possibly when doing wavy squats so that everyone is laughing. Not in an unkind way but just in a can’t help it are you killing a large animal whilst you are squatting. But the good thing is whereas before crossfit I would have rather died than have people laugh at me, now I laugh to. It is ridiculous and the faces people pull ate also ridiculous. But it’s that moment when all You care about it getting that weight up.

June 18, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Making faces and making weird noises helps so much when the weights are heavy! There must be a scientific explanation to that πŸ™‚