18 In london/ marathon/ running

London Marathon made me so emotional and I didn’t even run it!

London Marathon

Yesterday morning I went to the city to watch the London Marathon. I was so glad I wasn’t running it, after 3 of them I still remember very, VERY clearly what a bloody long way a marathon is.

As I walked through the crowds though and listened to the cheering and saw just how many people there were everywhere lining the route I thought – this is so amazing, there are SO many people cheering on complete strangers, yelling their names, giving them smiles, pats on shoulders and jellybeans… humans are so lovely sometimes… I love humans… and I love marathons… I think I want to run this one…

London Marathon

The afternoon in town in the midst of it all was amazing, my brain started plotting and planning and by the time I went to bed last night my training plan for next year was done! πŸ™‚

Monday: Crossfit
Tuesday: Crossfit
Wednesday: Long run
Thursday: Medium recovery run, 8-10km
Friday: Crossfit
Saturday: Bouldering
Sunday: Swimming / Fast 5-8km

I’d have to squeeze in some Bikram as well, not sure where yet but I will find a way!

London Marathon

My kids are both at school until 4pm now so I could easily do the long runs on Wednesdays when I don’t work, like I did last year, and this time I’d have plenty of time afterwards to recover and eat and recover some more and eat some more.

The London Marathon will only happen though if I finally get a ballot place. I’ve tried for 3 years, maybe this time I get lucky. I don’t want to run for a charity simply because I have done that a few times and I run so much in general that no one will donate money anymore and I don’t like to hassle people for it.

Now when it comes to timing, my marathon PB is 3:56. Using the Runner’s World pace calculator, it turns out that based on my half marathon PB of 1:44:26 I should be able to run a marathon in 3:37:44 with an average of 5:10 min/km and based on my 10k PB of 46:22 I should be able to run a marathon in 3:33:18 with an average of 5:04 min/km.

I am sure 3:33 will not happen but would love to aim for a sub 3:45.

But, but, but – I’m getting carried away and did I mention that a marathon is a bloody long race?Β  A lot of things can go wrong before and during so I know that in marathon training you have to just go with the flow, deal with any niggles early on and on the day just take one mile at a time and respect your body and the distance.

Who else was inspired yesterday and will be all over that ballot application on the 4th of May when it opens??

Anna @AnnaTheApple
    May 1, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I deferred my place for this year so all things being good I will be definitely be there next year. I was so jealous of those amazing runners!

PoweredbyPB
    April 29, 2015 at 9:15 am

I loved watching it, mile 5 was right by our house so it was very handy! I will be entering the ballot again- fifth year in a row, hoping for better luck!

Scallywag
    April 28, 2015 at 8:39 am

I wasn’t inspired for London (huge crowds aren’t my bag) but I was inspired to start thinking of marathons in general! Maybe Edinburgh 2016…

April 28, 2015 at 9:04 am

I LOVE huge crowds. I am not tempted at all by the races that are in the woods with just birds around πŸ™‚ I know I’m a total attention seeker and I need the crowd support – in Crossfit, in running, in bouldering – I do so much better when someone’s yelling at me! (nicely)

Jem
    April 28, 2015 at 7:55 am

I’ve considered it but I’m not sure I’ve got the willpower to see the training through (plus juggling around kids etc); I also haven’t taken part in any other events or races yet (besides parkrun)!

April 28, 2015 at 9:02 am

My first race was a half marathon so yours can be a marathon πŸ™‚

But seriously – it’s good to do a race or two beforehand, you’ll know what the crowds and the waiting around and the adrenalin/nervousness feels like.

Jem
        April 28, 2015 at 9:04 am

I’m supposed to be doing a 10k in May (and have done no training for it – eek!) and I might have registered for a half later in the year, but I can’t remember if I completed that form, ha… πŸ™‚

Katie
    April 27, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I know the feeling re:charity – I genuinely think I would have to do something 100% mental for people to give me money.

Ooh for the first time that is a calculator that matches me up quite well! My 10k PB from last week was 46.12, my marathon is now 3.33.24. So I think you are totally, totally within reach (based on our v similar 10ks!) Your other option is to apply for the ballot, do another Spring marathon if you don’t get it (Paris is lovely!) and push for a GFA qualifying time for 2017 – which again I think you’d totally get πŸ™‚ (Also it’s great to be able to tell people you got in because you are good enough to do it automatically….)

April 28, 2015 at 9:01 am

I have thought about getting a GFA but it’s almost too much pressure as those times seem way too fast! I’m so impressed with your 3:33 marathon, to me it’s totally utopian time πŸ™‚

Katie
        April 28, 2015 at 10:31 am

Taking your mind off it is apparently the best way – I genuinely thought Sunday was going to be a pile of poo and surprised myself more than anyone else! I think your half and 10k times (and the fact you’ve done a marathon already so know all the added fun that comes with training) show that you are definitely capable – but I know what you mean as I HATE committing to a goal!

Noel
    April 27, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Yep – for the third time I’ll be applying. My unfit brother applied for the first time and got into the ballot and ran yesterday. Sooooo annoying!

April 28, 2015 at 8:59 am

So annoying! πŸ™‚ But good for him – did he enjoy it?