6 In crossfit/ daily life/ fitness/ running/ stuff I like

Perfect time to be injured and other life updates

First of all, THESE are the best darn protein bars I have ever tasted. I have a gigantic box of the salty peanut butter ones and I shall be eating them daily until further notice.

Secondly, a week of New Routine aka Life Without Nana In The House is behind us and we’ve all survived. My husband takes the boys to school most mornings, I do short days at work, pick them up around 4:15, prep a quick dinner for them and go to CrossFit at 6. The kids are loving seeing me more each day but I am so not used to exercising in the evening. I haven’t figured out my eating, sometimes I’ve eaten too much by 6pm, sometimes I’ve eaten too little. Both scenarios do not make me feel great at Crossfit. And because I don’t get to move my body in the middle of the day like I have been doing for the past decade, it makes me want to just bounce up and down in my chair by 3pm. The struggle is real, I’m sooooo fidgety and restless from sitting for 7 hours at a time.

Thirdly, I still freaking can’t run. For a while my foot felt better and I ran 3km one day and 6km the next and now my foot feels like it’ broken again. Gaaaaah. I saw a GP last week and I don’t have plantar faciitis but she had no idea what I’ve got so now I’m seeing an orthopaedic specialist next week. Until then, no running. It’ll be two months of pretty much no running until I find out what’s going on with my foot. I’ve missed two races already, I’m missing a half marathon this weekend. Hilarious that I thought at the start of the year that I’ll concentrate more on CrossFit this year – I’m now going 4 times a week with no running happening. I guess if you try to look on the bright side, then right now is a pretty perfect time to be injured – it’s not a marathon year for me so it really doesn’t matter that I’m not able to run for a month (or two) (or three).

Going to CrossFit near my home vs near my office has been super convenient and definitely fun at times, but my body’s totally confused about working out in the evenings and emotionally it’s been HARD getting used to a new box (“gym” in CrossFit lingo). I was at CrossFit Thames for 5 years and it felt like home. Now everything is different – equipment, floor set-up, class structure, coaching style, PEOPLE. I’m slowly meeting people but still very much feel like an outsider and I find people don’t really go out of their way to make sure that they know everybody. Or maybe everybody else already knows everyone else and it’s just me who’s some random new old woman…

But let’s finish on a positive note – my big kid got some good news from his future high school and we all ate cake after dinner (and I totally couldn’t sleep last night because that cake was amazing and rich and a lot for my digestion to handle ;). It was amazing cake though and I regret nothing!

Katie G
    March 13, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Congratulations to your son! You celebrated in the right way after all cake is nearly always the answer! *cough*
    I get the impression that some Crossfit boxes can be a little cliquey but hopefully, over time, you’ll find your ‘group’ …
    I need to sample those protein bars, you had me at salty peanut butter!

Lina β€’ Mind over Matter
      March 15, 2018 at 9:14 am

Thanks πŸ™‚ Funny thing is I don’t really eat peanut butter out of the jar but I love any product that has peanut butter in it. And if it’s got added whey powder, I don’t mind if it really is just a candy bar disguised as a protein bar ;P

Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
    March 13, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Best of luck with your injury! And congrats on your kiddo’s school news!

Lina β€’ Mind over Matter
      March 15, 2018 at 9:16 am

Thank you. My foot is totally playing with my mind. When I don’t run for a few days it totally feels fine but then as soon as I do run I hobble afterwards. Let’s hope the specialist actually figures out what’s going on… Sometimes they don’t 😐

Kaie
    March 13, 2018 at 3:34 pm

Congratulations about the school! I changed my training to the evenings about 4 months ago because my husbands work patterns. So I go now either at 6pm or 7.30pm. and past couple of months I’ve done intermittent fasting and it works really well. I know you have tried and tested lots of things and probably have you own view about it but I find that I can relatively easily go without food first half of the day in the office and I’m so busy at home in the mornings to have breakfast anyway. My first meal is between 1.30 and 2pm and I tell you boiled egg never tasted so good than after 16 hours not eating πŸ™‚ So I manage to eat about half of my calories at work then I rush home, feed kids, walk dog and go training and after training I can enjoy another half of my daily allowance. It works for me as I feel I think so much less how much I eat and it’s much easier to stick your calorie allowance. So firm believer of need to have breakfast has been turned πŸ™‚
    Do you have private health insurance? Taking courage to go my GP to get MRI scan for my knee, which won’t be easy considering situation with NHS.

Lina β€’ Mind over Matter
      March 15, 2018 at 9:18 am

I have been thinking about fasting in the mornings but it’s never worked with lunchtime CrossFit. Now I just need to start adjusting my meal times slowly, I think. At the moment I’m still too hungry in the morning to not have breakfast 1.5-2 hours after I wake up (I never do first thing in the morning).